Thursday, February 01, 2018

Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 Challenge

I recently signed up for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge.  Leslie is a California-based artist who runs the Artists Helping Artists podcast, a really great resource at any stage of your career.  They talk about marketing, interview artists, and discuss a wide range of topics dealing with being a professional-level artist.  Leslie started a "30 in 30" challenge a few years ago with the goal of getting people into the studio, making work, experimenting, and sharing.  The goal is to make 30 artworks in 30 days.  They don't have to be big, nor fully realized, nor much of anything else - even if it's 30 quick oil sketches, they're good.  I'd heard about the challenge in years past but not participated.  This year, I decided to jump in.

So here's my first entry into the Challenge: "Mary Lou" charcoal and pastel on Canson toned paper, 25"x19".  This was done in a 2-hour life session.  Actually, the first hour saw me wipe out three or four false starts.  I'd get going, but it wouldn't feel right, or it would look like crap (or both), and I'd wipe it out and start over.  Things finally started happening during the last hour.  And here it is.  I even signed it!


1 comment:

  1. Dear Skip!

    I LOVE THE REALITY OF YOUR WORK!!! She isn't smiling....and you DIDN'T PRETEND that she was!

    I like that she is BEING REAL...and giving an impression of an "Elder" that has dignity and REALITY within it and beyond it carried out to the viewer!

    I am IN-JOYing being an ELDER....and truly loved SEEING THE TRUTH of showing BOTH SIDES of the burdens and Joys that we carry with us at this stage of life!

    Glad to be knowing you through your process of learning and growing as an artist.....I think PORTRAITS are a GREAT NICHE for you!!!

    Love and Light and JOY-FULLNESS!!!

    ReplyDelete